Recent Posts

June 27, 2010

Pacci's Neapolitan Pizzeria



I'm just going to start right off and straight up tell you I think Pacci's is the best thing that's happened to Silver Spring, certainly as far as pizza goes. Yes, a bold statement, but it's that good. I am a BIG pizza lover. I love all styles of pizza, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the healthy side that Z Pizza offers and the New York side that Flippin' Pizza offers... but my heart lies with true, Italian, Neapolitan pizza. It is just so fresh and alive with flavor. I would even go out on a limb to say it's right up there breathing down the neck of Two Amy's.

You walk in to this long, narrow space and are greeted immediately with the wood-fired pizza oven and a brick wall behind the bar adorned with wine bottles. There is a long, beautiful marble bar and narrow window seating. The table seating is towards the back and they offer substantial seating al-fresco. We chose to sit at the bar where we could watch the action.

I ordered the Nanninella pizza which was topped with oregano, buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, arugula, basil, shavings of parmesan and extra virgin olive oil. As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I'm a sucker for a pizza with arugula. The crust was absolutely perfect- thin, but not cracker-thin, crunchy and blackened bottom but yet still a soft doughiness to the center. This pizza exuded freshness with the peppery bite of the arugula and the bright red tomatoes.

My husband ordered the calzone with fresh ricotta, spicy salami, mozzarella and sauce. The dough was not too thick, which is often the case with calzones. The thing that stood out the most was the ricotta. It was so fresh, light and creamy. I would not be ashamed to lick the plate in a crowded restaurant.

I've learned in my food writing courses that you can't fairly review a restaurant until you've been there at least three times. I have only gone once, but it was outstanding. That being said, I guess I will use this as my excuse to go back a few more times and write about it again.

Pacci's
8113 Georgia Ave
Silver Spring, MD
301-588-1011

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Pacci's -- I've been twice and both times it's been great. Salads are good too -- more interesting than most. Agreed that it's the best thing to happen pizza-wise to SS, whereas I think the fire station restaurant is by far the worst!

Post a Comment